Wednesday, June 02, 2010

What A Long, Strange Trip on the DL It's Been

Wow, where to start?  How about on Saturday.  It was then that I filmed the 5K barefoot race at Pineland Farms (will post the video soon).  I knew I would be moving around a lot to get the footage, but what I naively didn't expect was how much running I'd end up doing.

I decided on a whim that I wanted some action shots running with the barefoot guys so I could get them in motion for a cool point of view.  This resulted in me doing a lot of start and stop running.  Perhaps a mile or a mile and a half worth, and the foot felt great!  Good sign.

Sunday, I biked around 25 miles on the course (on a borrowed bike, as I'm still waiting for a new wheel to come in) for the 50M/50K/25K race, checking up on runners.  That was fun.  Especially the wipeout I had in front of about a hundred people.

So, with that run on Saturday, I was encouraged to try a run in the Vibram Five Fingers today.  I wanted to run in the VFF's as opposed to standard shoes as it'd be a real test... giving the foot pretty much full flexibility.  But with that, I'd have to keep it slow, the run short, and not do anything stupid.

Ended up running 1.3 miles on a grassy field and I felt fine!  Very encouraged by this.  I didn't feel any aggravation which was great.  Really stoked to return to running!

Ran 1.3 miles @ 9:21/mile pace.
Grassy field.
Very flat.
Lower 70s, sunny, humid.
VFF Sprints, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

Scout said...

That's such encouraging news!!! Take it slowly, but welcome back!

It was good to see you all over the course Sunday. Sorry I missed your wipe out though ;)

Blaine Moore said...

Great news! That's exciting to hear.

Don't try coming back too quick, though...you need to stay healthy this time!

Sparkplug said...

Glad you're back! :-)