Monday, September 29, 2008

MDI Marathon Thoughts

I've been pretty quiet on my blog regarding the upcoming Mt. Desert Island Marathon lately. This is a pretty accurate reflection to my mindset, as I really haven't been giving it too much thought. This was due to the plantar fasciitis almost constantly reminding me it was inhabiting my feet. It was a big distraction, and while some days were better than others, even those better days had me weary of the days that weren't going to be good.

I don't mean to sound overly dramatic though. The PF hit its worst point several weeks ago, and aside from some moderate flare-ups that weren't too bad, overall the pain has been pretty low. It's just been annoying.

However, the Superfeet insoles along with the new shoes have really done wonders the past two days. I haven't felt it at all during my runs yesterday and today. Another good litmus test, waking up in the morning, has also seen good results with just a very, very dull ache in the heels that was barely noticeable. At this pace, the PF could be licked by the weekend.

So... now my attention is really turning towards the MDI Marathon on October 19th. The aerobic base is there but the speed work has been pretty lacking and with just three weeks to go, not much more can be done. I don't have high expectations for it as a result. However, I still think breaking 3:30 is a good, realistic goal, so that's what I'm shooting for.

As for today's run, felt good and strong. I was able to get in a little over six miles before the team's XC practice began and then I tacked on another three afterwards. Felt great. Not having that ache in my heels is really, really nice.

First run - 6.2 miles @ 8:02 mile/pace.
Second run - 3.1 miles @ 7:40/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
70 degrees, mostly cloudy.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

Garry said...

Sometimes it is fun to just go out and run a race without a whole lot of expectations and fanfare. Just enjoy the event!

sn0m8n said...

I think you should run the first half with someone who's hoping to break 4:00 in his first ever marathon, then bust out a strong, negative split second half. What? Just a thought.

Luc said...

Looks like a cool course. Glad that your PF is healing too. I'm doing Columbus Marathon that day, but would much rather be running a marathon in Maine. :)