Tuesday, September 02, 2008

After School Run

Students don't return until tomorrow, but today was a teacher work day and it still felt nice to return to a schedule where most of my weekday runs will take place in the mid-afternoon. I'll begin helping coach cross country next week, but still have this week to do my runs on my own.

I had totally forgotten that I still owned a Forerunner 201 and had loaned it to Neighbor Kate a while back. We'll just share it until I get my 305 back up and running. I tried to call Garmin's tech support today, but the wait was over 30 minutes according to the robot-voice lady, so I hung up and will try again tomorrow, but during the morning hours.

Today's run felt great. Hamstrings felt pretty darn good, almost a non-issue. However, the bottoms of my feet have been aching the past few days. That went away a few miles into today's run however.

Aside from that, the run went pretty stellar. The pace felt effortless and my energy was great. I think I'm finally starting to turn the corner on my prolonged recovery, but I'll still proceed with caution.

Ran 8.2 miles @ 8:01/mile pace.
Trails.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 70s, partly sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

4 comments:

Sparkplug said...

Glad you're feeling better! Good to see you this weekend too :-)

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Good that the recover is going well, and very wise to keep it easy. I'm sure you'll know when to turn the jets back on.

Damon said...

You've run 2 100s total, right?

I have found over the last 7 or 8 years that my required recovery time from 100s has trended downward.

After my first 100 mile finish in 2001, I went to the Tetons for a week of rock climbing 7 weeks after the race. I was still shot, couldn't handle the altitude (I always do well at altitude) and I didn't summit a single peak that week.

Last year, after the VT100, I raced again 3 weeks later and felt OK, but not great. In 2001, I would have never finished the race I did last summer.

But, I also raced again 4 weeks after VT100 last year, and then I was shot. I ended up doing no ultras at all last fall, taking an extended recovery break.

So, I always feel better about being cautious rather than taking risks.

But, your pace yesterday must have been encouraging.

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks all. Damon, yup, two 100s. Good to know that it gets better! I think this recovery could have gone a lot smoother if it weren't for pushing it on a couple of runs that essentially made me hit the proverbial reset button.