Sunday, December 03, 2006

Slow and easy

Ran 16.2 miles @ 8:01/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Weather: mid-upper 30s. Sunny.

I set out this morning on a new route that I've been wanting to try for a while. It crosses the Saco River twice, goes through a couple really neat small towns, and there's plenty of the ever present woods and farms alongside the roads. This was a good time to do it, as I planned on running at a very easy recovery pace (yesterday's hills runs took a lot out of me) and I could enjoy the scenery. Also, the hills aren't that bad along this route, relatively speaking. They are there, and a few are long, but none are really all that steep. According to the USATF's running route planner, there is 540' of elevation gain on the course, which isn't too bad for that mileage.

However, the run got off to a somewhat ominous start as the pin on my Garmin broke off for the third time this week. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it, and I was forced to stash the Forerunner in the pocket of my water belt. I have one pin left from an old watch, I think I'll just superglue it on there.

Aside from that, it was a great run otherwise and I felt very good throughout. A bit stiff at first from yesterday and also the cold, but after five miles I felt very loose.

Despite two rest days this week (one not really planned), I still got in what is for me a decent weekly total. I'm still shooting for consistent 70-80 mile weeks though.

Mon = 0 miles
Tues = 12.5 miles, extremely hilly
Wed = 10.5 miles, slightly hilly
Thursday = 5.7 miles, very hilly
Friday = 0 miles
Saturday = 15.1 miles, extremely hilly
Sunday = 16.2 miles, moderately hilly

Total = 60.0 miles

2 comments:

MB said...

That's beautiful country along the Saco!

Olga said...

You are making quite a mileage out there! Hope the snow blizzards hold off.