Saturday, December 16, 2006

Doing the Right Thing... Begrudgingly

Ran 1.1 miles @ 8:23/mile pace.

Yesterday, I hobbled through my run with a sore Achilles tendon in my right heel. I spent this morning icing it and taking aspirin and knowing that I was hurting, I prepared myself to abort today's run run at the first sign of trouble. After a couple of tenths of miles, I felt the soreness/tightness coming on with slowly increasing intensity and decided to throw in the towel a little over a half a mile into the run. Bummer, since the sun is shining brightly and it's once again very warm out.

I don't think this is anything too serious, but I may be forced to take another day off tomorrow. I'd rather do that and heal up quicker and properly rather than almost assuredly making things worse. The trade-off is I'm going to go a bit mentally nuts the rest of today and tomorrow. Aspirin and lots of ice in the meantime and I must keep telling myself: It's the right thing to do. It's the right thing to do. It's the right thing to do. It's the right thing to do. It's the right thing to do...........

2 comments:

Banking Miles said...

In the words of some old wise guy, "If resting is wrong, then I do not want to be right." Let me be the first to agree with you that you are doing the right thing. It may hurt as bad as your leg not to run but it is the good type of hurt that will hopefully get you better. Good plan on the ice. Rest up and may you heal quickly.

Andrew said...

I hope your achilles heals quickly. It's the injury I've yet to go through so I'm sure to have my turn at some point.

So no advice here. Rest sounds reasonable and the ice too.