Monday, December 04, 2006

Five in the Cold

Ran 5.0 miles @ 7:45/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Weather: 30 degrees, brisk north wind.

I had set out today in the hopes of doing at least 10, but quickly learned after starting my run that wasn't entirely realistic. My legs just feel very exhausted after the last two days. However, I was glad to get in the workout that I did. Normally, I might have just taken a rest day so it's good to get some mileage in instead.

My first split was 8:05, from there, I took off a few seconds from each mile until I finished the fourth mile in 7:50. Then I felt loosened up and good, and dropped the hammer a bit, running the last mile in 6:57. What's good is that it felt nearly effortless and pretty easy, despite tired legs.

Since that last mile felt so good, I mused on whether I should have kept going or not, but decided just leaving at five would allow better recovery and more gas in the tank for this week. I'd also like to start incorporating more tempo work or marathon pace (7:10/mile target) runs into my workouts this week in addition to the weekly mileage increases. Today was a good taste of that.

2 comments:

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Nice progression given the miles you've put in the last few days.

I am envious of your varied routes, it must be nice to mix things up a bit.

Are you still shooting for Hyannis?

Oh, and have you ever run the mid-winter classic in Cape Elizabeth?

Jamie Anderson said...

Hi Marc. Yep, Hyannis Marathon is the goal. No more races until then so I can focus on training.

I ran the Mid-Winter Classic last year. It was a blast! Really fun race and highly recommended.