Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A Nice Surprise of Sorts

Ran 10.3 miles @ 7:16/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Weather: Mid 30s, overcast.

My recent increase in mileage has me venturing into somewhat uncharted territory. I'm still learning how my body reacts to the weekly increases and workouts. Sometimes it's a guessing game as to how I'll do, but mostly I've noticed my overall pace is obviously slower, which is of course to be expected and is necessary to get the miles in. I'm still in an adjustment period. However, it is also important for me at some point to start doing some runs or parts of my runs at marathon pace. Today was a nice step in that direction.

Today was a far cry from yesterday when I set out and my legs felt very heavy. Instead, today I felt very light and fresh from the get go. I wasn't expecting that at all. As a result, I took off fast, and decided then and there to shoot for doing my first three miles at my goal marathon pace (7:10). I clocked them at 7:11, 6:51, and 6:54. I then eased up a bit, but still ended up hitting my splits at faster than expected times.

This was a huge confidence booster, and I couldn't be happier. My ultimate goal of breaking 3:10 this February to qualify for Boston seems just a little closer now, but I know I still have a lot of work to do.

Mile 1: 7:11
Mile 2: 6:51
Mile 3: 6:54
Mile 4: 7:36
Mile 5: 7:23
Mile 6: 7:24
Mile 7: 7:23
Mile 8: 7:28
Mile 9: 7:19
Mile 10: 7:15
Last .03: 7:01/mile pace.

I was planning on a rest day tomorrow, but may try to get in a very short run after a meeting in the afternoon.

3 comments:

Banking Miles said...

Surprises are sometimes not avoidable but its great when they are nice. Good job on the run. You seem to be on a good line to BQ. You have up'd your mileage recently to the 80 mpw range - do you have mpw goal and are you following a particular marathon plan to hit your BQ time?

Jamie Anderson said...

Hi Bapp. I'm trying to consistantly hit 70-80 mpw but I've only recently gotten up to that amount. My goal is to start incorporating more marathon pace runs (and some other speed work) while still maintaining the mileage.

MB said...

nice run, keep up the good work