Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Timex Run Trainer Inaugural Run


Yesterday, the new Timex Run Trainer arrived at my door. I was quite thrilled and after today's inaugural run, I am even more so. I'll write a full review in another month so I can continue to test it out, but my initial impressions are very positive. 

I've got to say though, not having a GPS for my race on Sunday was eye opening. I wonder if knowing my pace more regularly would have held me back. I'm going to have to think about that with races in the future, which is not to say I won't run with a GPS, but I'll consider hiding my pace during certain races. At least on Sunday, I proved that I could more or less feel my maximum pace for the distance and run it efficiently. 

That being said, the training runs sans GPS the past few weeks have felt very constraining. I think it's very beneficial to know your exact mileage and pace for training runs for a variety of reasons, at least for me. Plus, it kind of sucked working out the mileage for each route. GPS just saves a lot of time and headache on that front and other areas as well. 

So, yeah. Very pleased with the Timex so far. It proved to very accurate on this initial run. Run itself went well. Just an easy pace to follow up yesterday's rest day. Hopefully will get out for a longer easy run tomorrow. 

Ran 5.1 miles @ 8:24/mile pace. 
Paved roads. 
Slightly hilly. 
Upper 20s, sunny. 
Brooks Mach 13, warm-up pants, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

No comments: