Sunday, January 06, 2013

Snowshoe "Recovery" Run

Legs felt quite creaky all yesterday evening after the long run. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find them feeling pretty great when I woke up this morning. This despite our new cat, Nordique, apparently getting along quite well with The Cheat and their playing woke us up several times during the night. I also suspect that waking up to the great news of the NHL lockout ending gave me a positive jolt.

Had a couple espressos and a bagel, strapped on the snowshoes and was out the door. Very nice morning out. Saw three different groups of snowmobilers, all quite friendly with one giving me a respectful thumbs up, which was a nice gesture.

I definitely could have gone longer and maybe I should have, but I also didn't want to overdo it and would like to have a solid week next week. It was a good way to shake the legs loose, which is what today should be about given yesterday.

Looking back on the week, if you combine the skate skiing, snowshoeing and trail running I got in about seven hours and fifteen minutes of training this week. Pretty pleased with that. Considering that those activities jack the heart rate more, I'd say it roughly equates to 55 miles of brisk road running. Of course, this estimation is very loose and there are several other variables to consider, but I know a week like this is also providing great strength training that I wouldn't get with just straight road running. In summary, it's all good.

Snowshoed 3.2 miles @ 10:02/mile pace.
Trails with packed snow.
Slightly hilly.
Lower to upper 20s, partly sunny.
Dion 121 snowshoes, New Balance MT110, long pants, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: