Monday, January 16, 2012

Lazy Monday

I spent the entire morning writing and was on a good roll, but I also had a tempo run on tap today. With each passing hour it was getting harder to get outside, so I decided it was time to break the cycle and kick my butt out the door before it became too late.

Really glad I got out there as it went very well and it was a run I needed mentally. After not feeling very excited about my two speedier workouts last week, today was good vengeance. The plan was to warm-up for two miles and then drop the hammer, but I let go of it early and began the tempo pace after the first mile. I continued that for the next eight miles, and then hit the last two miles for the cool down as planned. So, I ended up with a bonus tempo mile as a result. Nice, but a bit risky, as I've put renewed importance on properly warming up (and cooling down).

Now, if only I can apply the same motivation towards getting some grading done, I'll feel really accomplished...

Ran 11.1 miles @ 6:54/mile pace. (1 mile w/u, 8.0 miles @ 6:46/mile pace, 2 miles c/d).
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 20s, partly sunny, breezy.
Saucony Kinvara 2, long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.


Jeremy Bonnett said...

Strong workout man, excellent.

Andrew said...

Great tempo run. Wello done!

middle.professor said...

8 miles at 1/2MP should be a hard workout at the beginning of marathon training. This would translate to a 3:06:30 marathon. 8 miles at MP should be comfortably hard at this point. This would be equivalent to 2:57 marathon. This says to mean you are either ran too hard or you're going to have a big PR in Boston.