Saturday, January 07, 2012

25 Miles at the GAC Fat Ass

Wow, great day today. The run went considerably better than expected. In fact, most of us seemed to have great performances (especially Ian, cranking out a 4:25:XX and making it look easy). Given there was no snow on the trails...NONE...it made it easy to put the hammer down a little and have a great run. I believe I've headed down to the annual GAC Fat Ass every year for the past five or so years, and each time it's been what you'd expect: snow covered trails and cold. Today? Over 50 degrees and bare trails.

The plan was to get in a slow 20 miles, which would mean running the 6.2 mile loop three times and tacking on a little more on the end. Since the MDI Marathon last October, I've done exactly one run over 15 miles. So, today was all about ensuring I get in the twenty and do so successfully.

After three laps I was feeling great and I told Jim D., who I was running with at the time, that I was going to switch gears a little and do a fourth lap. I did just that, finished the loop and then tacked on a couple of extra tenths of a mile to round it up to an even 25 miles.

Lot of fun today as well. I ran with Ian, Blaine, Jim D. and Ryan G., each for considerable stretches. Since I do virtually all of my runs during the week alone, I always look forward to running with friends on the weekends, and I got my fill of that today. Big congrats to Joe, Dave, Nathan S. and Dave who also put out great performances. Thanks guys!

Ran 25.0 miles @ 8:30/mile pace.
Trails.
Moderately hilly.
Lower 30s to lower 50s, sunny.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, sleeveless shirt, long sleeved shirt (shed at 6.2 miles), cap, Salomon water belt (shed at 12.4 miles).

No comments: