Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Running With the Orange Moon

Set the alarm early and woke up with no problems. After a cup of coffee, I was out the door around 4:45am for an easy run on the trails and fire roads out back. The cool air of the pre-dawn hours trumped what is supposed to be a very warm afternoon (mid-upper 80s), which was the main reason for doing my run early.

A bright orange, nearly full moon still hovered in the air providing some extra light, but it was low to the horizon and the headlamp was still needed. I felt surprisingly peppy this morning. Normally I'm creaky and a bit tired on early morning runs, but not the case today. I did manage to fall asleep a little after 8pm last night, which no doubt helped.

That being said, I still kept the pace easy. I don't anticipate taking a rest day this week, hence the past several days just being easy days to allow active recovery of Sunday's long run and allow me to hopefully get in a good performance with mile repeats tomorrow afternoon.

As always, really glad I did the early morning run. It's very rewarding whenever I can make myself do them.

Ran 5.1 miles @ 8:34/mile pace.
Trails and fire roads.
Mostly flat.
Upper 50s, clear skies, breezy.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt, headlamp.

5 comments:

Scout said...

I think I'd forget that I already run! You've had some nice rewards for your early efforts, though.

Kim said...

Jamie, I wish I was as brave as you with running trails in the dark. I had a run in w/ a coyote last year and since then kind of chicken and do all of my pre dawn runs on the road.

Sounds like you had a fabulous trail run with the trails, nice temps and of course that moon!

RunSueRun said...

Wicked cool Jamie! How are ya, buddy? :)

Jamie Anderson said...

Doing awesome Sue! Sorry we keep missing each other whenever you're in New England, hope all is well with you! :-)

Unknown said...

This is a very inspiring story to read, thanks for sharing more good thoughts. Nice blog too.



zbsports