Thursday, September 16, 2010

Progression Run in the New Shoes

Yes, another new set of shoes. Runningwarehouse.com had the Brooks Mach 11 spikeless cross country racing flats on sale for only $29.88, so I bought a pair. Must say, I was very impressed with them during their first run today. Very comfortable, lightweight, and the now mandatory-for-me low profile heel. Great fit and great performance. They're definitely a winner.

No doubt these will serve me well for shorter distances on both trails and roads, though if it is very muddy out, they'll likely stay inside as the tread is far from aggressive.

As for the run itself, I had planned on it just being an easy run on the converted railroad trails. However, the pace naturally just started dipping and I went with it, and got a great progression run out of it as a result. Pretty easy to go fast on these trails, as they are very well packed down overall, and the elevation change is very gradual.

Nice surprise as I ran into a runner on the return back who works in my school district. She's also running the Mt. Desert Island Marathon next month and it'll be her first. I have a feeling she'll rock it.

Splits for the eight miles ended up as follows:
7:55
7:42
7:32
7:21
7:14
7:03
6:37
6:25

Felt great overall, and even the faster paces felt relatively easy. Good sign, as I didn't expect to be this recovered from Sunday's race.

Also, it's the 4th anniversary of my blog! Can't believe I've logged every single run, bike, nordic ski, and every other cardiovascular workout here since then, but I have. I truly do it for myself, but appreciate it how some people actually follow what I post, so thanks.

Ran 8.0 miles @ 7:14/mile pace.
Well packed trails, some paved roads/paved trails (~1.5 miles worth)
Slightly hilly.
Lower 60s, overcast.
Brooks Mach 11, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

click to enlarge

1 comment:

Blaine Moore said...

Just picked up the kinvaras tonight. They are very "cushy" - not sure what I think of them yet.

They aren't uncomfortable but definitely don't let you feel the ground as well as I'm used to in what I've been wearing lately. Looking forward to breaking them in a little.