Sunday, April 05, 2009

Twenty Miles Down by the River

With the Western States 100 looming less than three months from now, it's time to concentrate on putting more hay in the barn. I felt great during and after yesterday's run, so I decided on the drive home that a long run today might be a good idea. Also, the weather is going to be really crappy the next several days, so I figured it was best to kick my butt now while the weather was still perfect.

The run today went very well. Hilly route that meandered down to the Saco River and back. I felt pretty strong overall. At around mile 15, I did start to feel tired and hungry though. Far from a bonk, but at the same time I was looking forward to getting home. After I finished, I walked in the door and was met with the sweet smell of the BBQ pork I have going in the slow cooker. What a tease, as it won't be ready for another four hours.

Really glad I did the long run today. In addition to being just good training, this is also a huge mental boost, knowing I had the 50k run last weekend. Yessir, life is good.

Ran 20.3 miles @ 8:42/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 146/165
Paved and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 40s to lower 50s, sunny, breezy.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

6 comments:

mindy said...

Nice! Long run and BBQ, doesn't get much better than that.

Laurel said...

Good job on the long run! What a great day for it.

Grellan said...

Don't you just love bagging those long runs and storing them for later. That slow BBQ sounds even better though.

Thomas said...

Cranking up the distance doesn't seem to be a problem for you. Way to go.

middle.professor said...

Sweet! And the run sounded awesome too!

Damon said...

Nice job Jamie. Your fitness seems to be coming along very quickly now that you can run more consistently.

I got in my first trail run of the season on Saturday and I'm a bit sore today. But, like you said, WS seems pretty close, so it's time to be working hard.