Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Owl and the Eagle

School was canceled today, so with the new snow I headed out for a snowshoe trek in the woods out back. Ended up being a real treat when nearly three miles in, I got a very good look at a barred owl. I spotted it in a bog just off the trail, where it flew up into a tree and swiveled its head around to look at me. Our eyes locked for several moments before it took off deeper into the woods.

Still riding on excitement with that, there was another, equally cool sighting. I reached the lake about 10 minutes later and as I stepped out on to it, a very large, fully matured bald eagle flew very right by. Not that I would, but if I had a frisbee, I probably could have hit it (if I had good aim)... it was that close.

Good workout to boot. Nearly two hours with a heart rate averaging in the 130s, which is was what I was hoping for. Anaerobic benefits as well since some parts were tough, especially in the drifts and uphills. Great cross training.

Pics below. Unfortunately, none of the owl or eagle.

Snowshoed 6.7 miles in 1:57:00.
AHR/MHR - 132/157
Trails with ~2 feet of powder, higher in drifts.
Very hilly.
Mid-upper 20s, snowing.
Long pants, Goretex shell, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.


The brook that leads out from the bog, about half a mile in:

Looking back at the fire road:
The lake, about three miles in:

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the snowy pictures! It looks so peaceful.

Love2Run said...

No owl pics? Too bad. Enjoy the warmth in Florida!

Luc said...

So jealous. Great pics!