Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Boston Marathon Thoughts

I don't mean to sound like a broken record (is corrupt MP3 file a more modern metaphor?), but I haven't been terribly motivated this training cycle for Boston. Just burned out on road marathons, pure and simple. As a result I haven't gotten in the mileage and workouts that would make up an amazing training period.

However, after some analysis and thinking, it's also not a total bust. There are some positives to take from it. Thought it would be helpful to get some pros and cons down in words:

The Bad:

  • Only averaged 45-point-something miles a week for the past 11 weeks. 
  • Slightly less than desirable amount of tempo and interval work.
  • Often took two rest days a week.
  • Mentally not super motivated for the race. 
The Good:

  • I got in over 55 miles of snowshoe running/racing in the past 11 weeks. 
  • Only averaged 48-point-something miles for the 11 weeks leading to the taper for the MDI Marathon last fall and had a big PR. Snowshoe mileage helps make up that three mile a week deficit. 
  • Tempo runs and interval workouts produced good results when I got them in. 
  • PR-ed in the 10-mile and half marathon distances during this training cycle. Speed is there? 
  • Long runs have been there. A couple on snowy trails (extra strength conditioning). 
Analysis:
The cycle definitely could be better, but could also be worse. Comparing the training cycle to MDI, at the very least I think I've maintained the fitness and speed I had last October. However, I think I've likely improved on it some...just not as much as I could have.

However, I think Boston is tougher than MDI, at least for me. All of those downhills kill my quads. Yeah, MDI is much hillier, but it roughly has the same amount of equal ups and downs, and my legs handle that better. Rolling hills are just more my strength. 

So, I don't know. I'd like to go for a time somewhere between 3:05-3:07, but if I can push it harder in hopes of....... well, I will. But I also know that's an absolute best case scenario. It would be easy for me to run a 6:45-6:50/mile pace in those first 17 miles. Maintaining that on the Newton Hills and then having enough strength left in the quads after Heartbreak is a different matter. 

As for today, a little over four miles on hills. Was supposed to be easy pace, but it was a progression due to lack of discipline. The legs just felt damn good. Will be more careful in the remaining week and a half. 

Ran 4.3 miles @ 7:24/mile pace. 
Paved roads. 
Very hilly. 
Lower 40s, sunny, windy. 
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt. 

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Do you not include your snowshoe mileage as running mileage? Do you also not include miles in racing flats vs. trainers? Snowshoe miles should count for double.

Jamie Anderson said...

Kevin, I count the snowshoe miles as running miles, but know they are worth more. Thanks for the reassurance. If double, then that makes me feel better.

As for trainers and flats, never gave that much consideration. I run my longer training stuff in the same lightweight/hybrid shoes (Kinvara/Virrata) that I race 10-milers and up in.

mindy said...

I would interpret your training as "rested and ready". Lower mileage with your base is not a hinderance. You've been doing MP pace long runs, strength and hills and speed are there. If you did any more, I would think you'd be in danger of overtraining. Sounds just about perfect to me. I predict 3:05:49.

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks Mindy. If I nail down your predicted time I'd be really stoked. I'll be quite happy just to go under 3:10.