Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tune-Up

Warmed up for a mile (7:26) and then aimed for MP for the next three miles. Hit the first two "MP" miles way too fast, clocking them at 6:31 and 6:29. I was feeling pretty good doing it, but not wanting to stress the legs I decided to not do a third fast mile and take it easy.

Low and behold, I dropped the pace and felt relaxed, smooth and efficient. That mile came in at 6:39 yet didn't feel fast at all, which was great. I was pretty surprised. Amazing how 8-10 seconds slower can feel. I have to be more disciplined on Sunday though, but the 6:45/mile pace goal seems very much within my realm. The goal is to break three hours, which is 6:51/mile but I feel it's wise to bank some time and don't think 6:45 is overdoing it.

So yeah, feeling great for Sunday. All systems go. Weather looks pretty decent as well. As of now, it's supposed to be a cool morning (43F/6C) but warm in the afternoon (77F/25C). However, given the 7am start it should cooler throughout and plus I'm much more acclimated to the warmer stuff now than I was last month in Boston. I'd say it's just about perfect. Bring it.

Ran 4.3 miles @ 6:46/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 70s, overcast, humid.
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, sleeveless shirt.

3 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!

You have an excellent plan/strategy and it sounds like things are lined up nicely.

Kill it man!!

unstrung said...

GO JAMIE!!! Glad you are feeling well!

Unknown said...

Good luck, Jaime!