Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dog Days of Spring

Hit the track today. Hot out. Thermometer said 77 degrees but it felt at least five degrees hotter than that. Wasn't exactly setting myself up for success here. The weather along with the unfamiliarity of my pacing for 400M repeats just led to frustration.

Splits were 1:10, 1:15, 1:20, 1:17, 1:18. I shot myself out of the sky by hitting that first one too fast. Hard to recover from it with the heat so after the third rep I took a 2-3 minute rest and got some water. Fourth split was estimated, as I hit the wrong button. Had originally wanted to do at least six reps but called it quits after the fifth.

Easy trail run on tap for tomorrow. Hard to screw those up.

w/u: Ran 1.7 miles @ 8:06/mile pace.
5 X 400M w/ 200M active recovery: 1:10, 1:15, 1:20, 1:17, 1:18. Extened 2-3 minute rest after third rep. c/d: Ran 2.0 miles @ 9:17/mile pace.

Mid 70s, sunny, breezy.
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

6 comments:

unstrung said...

If I could reach your shoulders, I would be shaking you by them and saying things like, "DUDE! Give yo self a break." Today was/is still fricking hotsauce.

Jamie Anderson said...

Yeah, but I'm hoping the body comes around a little more. Running the heat is always tough, but the body does acclimate a little. Just not there yet. I think I'd be wise to do harder workouts later in the day or earlier in the morning when it's cooler.

unstrung said...

I am sure it'll happen. It's only May!

unstrung said...

< /mojopolice >

middle.professor said...

different world my way. I was running Skillins Hell repeats (moderate pace except the last) and it as actually quite cool, especially with the shirt off. One of the loveliest days of running this spring. Today should be the same!

Jamie Anderson said...

Nice, Jeff. You'll need those good days if you plan to beat me at the Bradbury series this summer. ;-)