Sunday, May 20, 2012

DNF at Sugarloaf

I kept it quiet, but I started feeling sick a couple of days ago. I kept hoping I would feel better but unfortunately I was only getting worse. No miracles when I woke up this morning and I tried to get in a mindset to tough it out and hope things turned around. I balanced this with keeping in mind that it might not go so well. Unfortunately, the latter case scenario happened.

I toed the line and a shotgun blast sent us on our way. As far as pace was concerned, the first four miles were going as planned (6:39, 6:48, 6:48, 6:46). However, it was WAY more work than it should have been. I was struggling to hit those times when in training it was a breeze.

I backed off a little, watching with dismay as a group of a dozen or so runners I was with who were keeping the sub-3 pace got further and further ahead. I ran with two other guys who were cheery and encouraging, but I told them I wasn't feeling well. They were great, trying to pep me up and keep me going, and I really appreciated it but this was a physical issue and not a mental one. They also eventually passed and moved up ahead.

A series of steeper uphills now and they also seemed like more work than they should have. Normally I would be able to cruise up these, but nothing doing. I knew I was in real trouble. I held hope that I would maybe feel better on the downhills, but the power of positive thinking here had about as much affect as trying to take down an elephant with a BB gun.

Jim D. had been riding his road bike alongside me for a while now as well and I told him how I was feeling. I can't remember when exactly, but a few miles before I DNF'd I told him to let Kate, Ryan, Mindy and Chuck of my plans to drop if I wasn't feeling better on the downhills. Jim went on ahead to meet them down the course.

I reached mile 10 and soon after the steep downhills began. So did the vomiting. I vurped once at first. No big deal. Then the stomach really had enough and I full-on projectile vomited. I tried to keep running, but another contraction seized me in my tracks and I ralphed again. I thought my stomach was empty but up came another huge gastro-geiser. Frustrated, I cursed out loud quite a few times.

Stomach empty now so I kept running but the decision was made to drop out when I would see the gang next. They were waiting for me at Mile 12 and after looking at me, there was no protest about my decision. They all said I looked like crap; face pale and green and dark circles under my eyes or something like that. That actually made me feel good, as it validated how I was feeling. If I'm going to feel like shit, I want to look like shit to match.

Fortunately, the condo we were staying at was close by. We went there and I had some soup. We all chit-chatted for a bit before driving home. It really sucks when friends go out of their way to cheer you on and something like this happens. I know they understand, but I still feel bad.

So, now I'm home and resting. Thinking of calling out sick at work tomorrow. Just going to rest up before I decide what to do next.

Ran 12.0 miles @ 6:57/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 50s to lower 70s, sunny.
Saucony Kinvara 2, shorts, singlet.

8 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Real sorry man, want to give ya hug right now...

mindy said...

Don't feel bad Jamie - we all got to hang out for awhile afterward! You were really ill - I can attest to the greenishness and dark circles - we could tell you were hurting and you made the smart decision to stop. Shitty timing with a virus, but revenge will be yours! Now, rest up and get better! And totally take the day off tomorrow, too.

unstrung said...

Damn virus madness. Bummer, yes, but at least you are mostly okay, as in, this is better than if you'd gotten injured and were going to have to take months off. Looking forward to reading your future blogs of future inspiring and ever-improving training.

Sparkplug said...

Such a bummer, Jamie. So sorry, but you will come back and get sub-3 on your next one, I know it! And for now, rest up and feel better!

pathfinder said...

sorry jamie......something non of us want to have happen. At least the training isn't wasted, in a couple days you be good as new

sn0m8n said...

With the way you looked, I would have yanked you off the road, if you hadn't done so yourself. Normally, you're ugly, but this was ugly even for you.

Grellan said...

Jeez Jamie, that's tough. There's nothing you could have done about it and you were right to call it a day when you did. At least it's not an injury and your peak fitness is still there beneath the green exterior.

Judson Cake said...

Hope you get better.