Friday, May 18, 2012

Coming Down the Mountain

Two days to go. Feeling ready. Quite ready. Legs feel springy and fresh. Very much looking forward to the Sugarloaf Marathon on Sunday. Just a short two at an easy pace this afternoon to keep the legs moving.

I'm very curious as to what Sunday will bring. The usual race doubts are going through my head. For one, it'll be warm. Not Boston scorching hot, but still warm (estimated 74 degrees by the time I finish). However, the 7am start helps and I'm also much more acclimated now.

The course is also fast, but with a caveat. According to marathonguide.com, 33.6% of the completers qualified for Boston last year, the third highest percentage in the country. In 2010, it was the fourth highest. However, the reason it's fast is because of the downhills. Check it out:

Stolen without permission from Chuck. 
My quads have always been my weakest leg muscles. They have definitely gotten stronger and my downhill form has improved, but they will surely still be tested on Sunday. My best races are on courses with rolling hills (MDI, MidCoast Half, Bradbury Bruiser)... can I do as well on something like this?

But I'm ready. It's been somewhat of a challenge to sharpen the knife (Ryan's metaphor) since Boston, but I don't think it could have gone any better. The legs feel great and it's just a matter of being disciplined, yet tenacious, during the race. 

Sub-3, I'm coming for you.



Ran 2.1 miles @ 7:36/mile pace. 
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly. 
Lower 70s, sunny. 
Saucony Kinvara 2, shorts, short sleeved shirt. 

2 comments:

sn0m8n said...

There's no way it's going to be 74° at 9:57am. #seewhatididthere

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Captain Kill-it strikes again!

When last we saw our hero he was slogging miraculously through perilous heat, and humidity, fighting massive crowds of evil, vile villains.

Now he stands poised to take his revenge on the black-top, striving for success, reeling in his foe, enveloping, and surpassing barriers like the stench of a Sasquatch...