Sunday, May 06, 2012

Acadia National Park Weekend Extravaganza

My good friend Jim was kind enough to put together a bachelor/bachelorette/birthday celebration this weekend for myself and Kate, along with a big group of friends this weekend up at Acadia National Park.

Two words: Big fun.

Below is a brief breakdown of the weekend. There's a lot more to tell, but I'm a bit tired and plus some things are probably best left unwritten.

Friday
Kate and I arrived at the Blackwoods Campground first. Ryan followed just ten minutes later. I helped set up our tent but was also anxious to get in a run. Given that it was my birthday, I think Kate was being extra generous and she urged me to go run while she finished setting things up.

I ran from the campground to Thunder Hole and back along the Park Loop Road. Not many cars/tourists about, so the traffic was light. Took the pace easy to moderate overall, aside from one of the downhills at a little under MP.

Afterwards, we met up with everyone else at Geddy's for grub and drinks.

Ran 6.0 miles @ 7:29/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 40s, overcast.
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, long sleeved shirt.

From the dock, downtown Bar Harbor
Saturday
A light rain was still falling in the morning, trading off with heavy mist. The fog was also really thick and the temperature a bit chilly. Great running weather, really. Taking part today was Ryan, Mindy, Zak and Randy.

The hope today was to invoke another spruce grouse attack like the one we had last time we ran this route a few years ago. No luck. But we did have a great run with much shenanigans along the way.

Run was actually a bit of an unstructured fartlek for me. I picked up the pace on several occasions for several different reasons including catching up with everyone after a long bio break, racing Ryan to the occasional sign post when they came in view, bombing a long section of downhill, and running the last two miles a little under MP with Zak at the end.

We got back and I took a shower, and then we cooked up a feast at the campground that included sausages, moose, venison, corn on the cob, s'mores and beverages. We also watched the full moon rise from the water at the cliffs, which was quite a spectacular sight!


Ryan, Zak, Mindy and Randy. 

Ryan smiles after being first to reach the sign post (we let him win). 


Ryan and Mindy on a downhill stretch. 

Wheeee!

Campfire smoke and a setting sun. 

The cliffs near Blackwoods.

Kate and Jim playing on the rocks.

I see a bad moon rising. 

Ran 15.1 miles @ 7:58/mile pace.
Carriage trails.
Extremely hilly.
Mid to upper 40s, overcast, foggy, light rain/heavy mist.
New Balance MT110, shorts, long sleeved shirt, Salomon 45 waterbelt.

Sunday
Morning sun.
Jim and I woke up before everyone else (shocker). We made coffee and headed down to the cliffs to watch the sunrise. By the time we got back, almost everyone was awake. We packed things up and headed over to Eagle Lake to get in a final run before we headed back.

The run went well. I had planned on two laps around the lake but the legs felt pretty heavy and I felt one lap was sufficient enough to loosen the legs up without overdoing it. We all ran together, aside from Kate who had a shorter route in mind.

Very fun weekend!

Ran 5.8 miles @ 8:40/mile pace.
Carriage trails.
Very hilly.
Upper 40s to lower 50s, sunny.
New Balance MT110, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

6 comments:

middle.professor said...

I waited impatiently all weekend for the report. You didnt disappoint! Wish I coulda been there. Only prom takes precedence. There will be more celebration in the next month.

Scout said...

What great pictures of an obviously great time! Sorry we didn't get to share in any of it :( We'll be there for the main event, at least!

Sparkplug said...

Great photos, Jamie! I love the camp smoke one especially. Sounds like the perfect weekend, sorry to have missed it!

mindy said...

Great weekend. Only bummer was that we didn't get a rematch with the spruce grouse. You got some fantastic pix!

sn0m8n said...

Let me win? I think not. Smokin' all y'all fools!

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Ahh, looked like a fabulous time! Glad you got out and enjoyed the b-day and celebration station.

By the way I didn't recognize Ryan with his new superman posture...