Sunday, July 04, 2010

Marathon vs. Ultramarathon Training

Meant to get out earlier this morning to run, but still got out around 8:30am before the real heat starts to build. Felt pretty good out there. It's really nice to run with the heart rate monitor again, and I was pleased to see my heart rate was pretty much on par for this pace.

Been doing a lot of thinking about marathon training vs. ultramarathon training. As with any form of long distance running, the forumlas for success vary greatly and the opinions are about as numerous as gallons of toxic oil in the gulf. None are necessarily wrong, it's just a matter of experimenting and finding out what works best for you, which is half the fun.

However, as a general rule, it's pretty safe to say that ultramarathon training focuses more on the long runs and speed work takes a big back seat, if it even exists at all. That's definitely been the case with me in the past. And I've ridden on that training when doing my last handful of marathons. It's worked out okay for the most part, but I don't think it's helped me reach my full potential with marathons.

I'm looking to change that now, training specifically for the MDI Marathon this October, and as I continue to enter the training regiment with the rust coming off, I'm actually really enjoying the differences so far. There's speed work, tempo runs, and just faster running all around thrown into the mix. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it sucks, but even when it sucks it's usually while I'm doing it, but afterwards I'm glad I did it and feel pretty rewarded.

That's been coming along nicely, now just need to get the long runs in there also, which I'm working up to and will be there soon. As I'm getting back into race shape, the weight continues to come off. I weighed myself at 182 when I woke up this morning. That's five pounds less than a week ago, and 10 pounds less than two weeks ago. At this rate, next weekend I'll be within my goal weight range (173-177).

Still a lot of work to do between now and October, but so far so good.

Ran 5.4 miles @ 7:35/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 154/165
Paved roads.
Mostly flat.
Mid to upper 70s, sunny.
Asics GT-2130, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: