Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sore Soleus Muscles

I begrudgingly took the past two days off to allow my calf and soleus muscles to heal up. The longish barefoot beach run on Wednesday really gave them a hard workout, something I didn't realize until the next morning.

Today was a good test run, and I determined that the calves feel fine but the soleus muscles still need a few more days to heal up. Nothing bad, they're just really sore. So very light and slow running the next few days. Hopefully by mid-week I'll be ready to pick up the pace again.

Run was a fun one today... ran with Ian, Jim, Shauna, Lilly and Dom. Great company as always and we beat the rain.

Ran 7.1 miles @ 8:52/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 147/168
Trails.
Very hilly.
Mid 40s, overcast.
Brooks Cascadia 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, Moeben sleeves (rolled down after 4 or 5 miles).

6 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

I think running bare foot is a good way to improve foot strength and improve running form, check ot this video;
http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17923
but even tribesmen wear shoes when they can get hold of them;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o&feature=player_embedded

RICK'S RUNNING said...

But I'm really impressed how far you can run in barefeet.
Do you plan to run in 5 fingers or nike free's this winter?

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks Rick. Good links. Maybe some Five Finger running this winter, depends on how much ice and snow we get. I do plan on doing a lot of cross training with cross country skiing (skate style).

Blaine Moore said...

I was going to run with you guys this morning. I wish I'd just paid attention to my urge to go back to bed despite not being that tired, though...

I totaled my car on my way there. Obviously, I never made it.

(Nobody was hurt.)

Laurel said...

I had a coach in the late 70's who was a big proponant of barefoot running, usually fast paced workouts were done barefoot and the long runs or recovery runs were done with shoes. I don't know if it helped my running form, but I do remember the sore calves!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

THE CROSS COUNTRY SKIING SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT WAY TO HAVE FUN AND GET FITTER AT THE SAME TIME.
I use to do 2-3 hours inline skating [ with friends] after my long sunday morning runs. We use to finish off with a mile race in the local park, i think we equalled steve crams [running] mile record! mind you i gruess 15 mph on skates is not really all that fast ;]
yeah the skating is really good for the hip flexor muscles and should give you a stronger knee drive for running!
HAVE TO DIG MY SKATES OUT THE CUPBOARD!
Happy Running