Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Zen Barefoot Beach Run


I can usually tell after the first mile how a run is going to go. Sometimes I'm wrong, though. I might start off feeling great and then bonk out, or I may begin feeling sluggish and then things click into place after I warm up. But most of the time I can pretty much tell how things will pan out, whether it'll be a fast run done easily, a fast run that is work, a slow run that will go well and give me longer distance, a run where I may not make it the distance, and so on and so forth.

Today I felt it was going to be a great run. It wouldn't be fast, or particularly long, but enjoyable with the energy sustaining nicely throughout. And I was right. As a result, I decided to extend the eight miles to ten... but then with the Saco River jetty being so close, what the heck, might as well go the distance and do the whole stretch. I made it to the jetty, climbed up it, enjoyed the view for a few moments and then made my way back.

Today's run was done barefoot, my longest one to date. While it wasn't as warm today as it has been the past couple of days, it was warm enough and splashing through the shoreline at times was fun. And, I practically had the whole beach to myself.

Ran 12.7 miles @ 8:51/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 138/152
Beach with packed sand.
Very flat.
Mid 40s to around 50, mostly cloudy turning to partly cloudy, breezy.
Barefoot, shorts, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie.

2 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Thats a beautiful photo, I wish we could have Spring , Summer and Autumn and maybe just have one day of Winter each year!

Tucker Goodrich said...

You're lucky to live where you do. One of my favorite runs ever was a barefoot run at Popham Beach State park. Maine's pretty darn close to paradise.