Thursday, November 05, 2009

Altered Gaits

One nice thing about running barefoot and in shoes with the heels sawed off is that I've kind of relearned how to run. Even when wearing normal shoes, I naturally remember and my gait is still the way it should be... no heel striking and landing on the forefoot. It's nice, and just feels more efficient and natural.

I would just wear the heelless shoes all of the time with road runs, but they do tend to make my shin splints flair up a little on some runs, so I've just been wearing them here and there but still getting good results. I think a good solution will be to get some lower profile shoes, like racing flats, for the winter. My friend Chuck has been bouncing some good suggestions off of me, and I'd like to pick some up soon.

Anyway, had five on the agenda today. Went too fast. Tried to slow down a few times, but my mental discipline sucked. Would have been better to be about :30/mile slower and hit tomorrow's hill workout harder. Will just run that slower instead.

Ran 5.0 miles @ 7:18/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 156/169
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Upper 30s, overcast, very light rain.
Asics GT2120 (heelless), shorts, windbreaker (shed after 1.6 miles), long sleeved shirt.

2 comments:

pathfinder said...

I haven't actually paid much attention to my gait when wearing regular shoes. I feel that I am more of a toe-off walker and leaning forward but I think I land on the heel first.
I think I will have to be more attentive.

middle.professor said...

I've been running in Asics Piranha this year and love them. They are expensive for a nothing pair of flats though (I found mine on wicked sale). I have also done a little road running in my NB 790. Love them to and you can probably find them on sale.