Thursday, October 23, 2008

Post MDI Marathon Thoughts and Looking Ahead

Thank you everyone for the comments and emails regarding the MDI Marathon. I really do appreciate it. Recovery is going very well, but I'm still sticking to my plan of no running until Sunday (also, if I violate that rule, I owe my father 20 bucks).

Physically, my legs feel great. The plantar fasciitis did flare up big time and I felt it a lot on Monday. However, by Tuesday it waned dramatically and now it feels like it's back within its normal parameters, if there is such a thing. That's good.

Mentally, not feeling so great. I fully realize expecting anything more out of myself last Sunday would be unrealistic, all things considered. However, I've been pretty bummed because I know I can do better. But talk is cheap. The logical thing to do here would be to give myself an opportunity for a quality marathon run, so that's what I'm doing.

I'm going to register for the Hyannis Marathon this weekend. The race is on February 22nd and the goal is to qualify for Boston. For my age group, that means running in 3:15:59 or less, which translates to 7:28 per mile.

The nice thing about this race is that I could use a BQ time for either this year or next. If I qualify, I plan to use it for 2010 if all goes well. With the Western States 100 looming in late June, after Hyannis it will be time to rest up and start training specifically for that. Plus, Boston in 2010 would give me something else grand to look forward to (if I qualify).

Back to Hyannis... this could also be sweet revenge. Two years ago, I felt I was primed for a BQ time and I got cocky and went out too fast. I couldn't hold the pace and I crashed and burned big time and DNF'd. It'd be nice to go back there and kick some butt. It's a fast course, just have to be able to tolerate the cold, which I don't have any problems with.

To be honest, I'm not terribly crazy about this marathon in particular. I've had fun there, but comparing it to the MDI Marathon is a bit like comparing a peanut butter sandwich to a steak dinner. What would help is if they would have staggered starts for the 10k and half marathon runners, yet we're all lumped in together at the start on a narrow street. Ugh. Two years ago I positioned myself at the front and that helped, so I'll just to be sure to squeeze up in there early.

Looking forward to running on Sunday, and gradually bringing my mileage back up. I have formulated a training plan of sorts, but I'll save that for another post.

7 comments:

sn0m8n said...

Sounds like a good plan. But, really, you have nothing to be down about. That MDI course is tough. So, snap out of it, or Danielle will kick your ass.

Damon said...

Jamie,

I'm somewhat envious that your marathon is behind you. I've had a couple days in the past week or two where the intensity of marathon training has caught up to me and I just haven't felt like running. I had a great run at the Maine Track Club race last week, so I know I'm ready for my race. But, I've still got 16 days until the race and 17 days until my off-season starts.

If I qualify for Boston, mine will also be good for two years. Because of that, and because of WS, I'm thinking about doing a Don't Run Boston/Boston double next spring. I would be lucky to do a 5-hour Boston the day after running the DRB course, but it would be great WS training.

Recover well.

Sonhasrisenrunning said...

When you're out of your normal training routine and missing workouts it can be depressing,even when your misssing them for recovery's sake and just ran a good race.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Jamie - Good plan. Don't beat yourself up about MDI, you put in a solid performance what with the PF plaguing you during the final bit of training and the...um...stuff you had to endure during.

Hyannis has been in the back of my mind as well. Perhaps we could carpool.

I am going to get the 2m rig set up this weekend. I'll drop you an email when I'm all set up.

mindy said...

In the days after a race, I think we all start second guessing things. Just make sure that you are still having fun out there. A BQ is a sure thing for you, it's just a matter of when.

Leslie said...

Yo. Just catching up! Nice work on the marathon, I'll forgive you for running on, ahem - asphalt. That stuff hurts! I avoid it at all costs. Though I will confess, I thought about running a marathon off the couch this year. I thought it might be fun just to see what I could do, after a summer of ripping around on the trails. But no, common sense prevailed, when I realized I would have to ACTUALLY run on a road!!!
Be well!

Unknown said...

D Shivakumar presented his thought model about the “beaten to death”, Think Global Act Local theme. He went a step ahead and said, “Think global, manage regional and act local.” Shivakumar added,arketers run into the risk of either being hopelessly global or mindlessly local. Smart marketers strive to strike balance between the two.” In an attempt to define ‘local’, Shivakumar put forth an out of the box adage, “Listen to global and then go do your own thing.”
--------------------------------
margret

maine drug rehab