Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pre Vermont 100 Thoughts

The Vermont 100 is a week away and I feel quite ready. I am pumped and know it will be a blast, especially with the Trail Monster entourage we have going over (Stephen, Ian, Chuck, and Erik are also running it... not to mention our crews and pacers).

First and foremost, I am seriously really looking forward to it. So, I hope what I'm about to say doesn't come across wrong. But... It also seems a little anticlimactic after the whole Western States 100 cancellation ordeal. After going through that drama, it's just kind of hard to get myself so psyched up again to that same level. The pressure (as I perceive it) is also way less for the Vermont 100. But I'm thankful for that! I think I run better when that's the case.

The pressure is less for a variety of reasons: My time last year was 22:09:55. Breaking that shouldn't be a problem, since I ran the race three months after knee surgery (which was minor, for a torn meniscus) and missed a lot of training before and while recovering from the injury. I'm in much better shape this time around. Having run it last year, I also know the course and have a better handle on the logistics. There is little traveling stress, since it's just a scenic three-four hour drive away. And I know first-hand it's a well put together and super fun event. All those combine to make it less tense.

But of course, it is also 100 miles, leaving a lot of room for things to go wrong. If it's a brutally hot day, everyone's times will likely suffer. Weather forecast a week out looks okay, with highs in the low 80s... but this is New England, so that will likely change a few dozen times between now and then.

So my goal...

.. .- -- --. --- .. -. --. - --- - .-. -.-- - --- -... .-. . .- -.- - .-- . -. - -.-- --- -. . .... --- ..- .-. ... .-.-.-

Oh yeah, I ran today also. Just did 10 miles with Stephen, Brian and Lilly at Pineland Farms. Good run. Felt a little sluggish, but I had pizza for breakfast so I'm surprised I felt as well as I did. However, I did just go food shopping, and all healthy stuff is on order for the next week.

Worth noting the deer flies were out, but they were slow because of the cooler temperatures. Killing them was easy, fun, and oh-so satisfying.

Ran 10.0 miles @ 9:00/mile pace (nice round numbers)
Trails.
Very hilly.
60 degrees, rising to 70 degrees, partly cloudy.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

8 comments:

Thomas said...

That's a reasonable target; not sure why you had to encode it, but online translators are always available.

Good luck!

MB said...

cool goal! btw, thx to Thomas I grabbed the first translator that came up on Google. http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about being able to go to the Vermont 100. It will be my first ultra spectating event.
And you weren't lying about the flies in the back woods. I had an entire army swarming around my head today.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Damn, I had forgotten all about last year's knee surgery. You should do very well next week.

I certainly understand the anticlimatic feelings. Maybe you'll get the vibes back as you toe the starting line.

Ultrathoner said...

Good Luck!!! And yes, the squash/crunch of another killed deer fly is very satisfying!!!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

I believe your goal is right on track and doable :-)

Damon said...

Jamie,

I'll look for you on Friday at the race check-in. I'm not sure where I'll be working on Friday, but the last 3 years, I've been weighing runners as part of the medical check.

I have to admit that I'm kind of glad I didn't enter VT. I haven't been super-motivated since WS got cancelled and 100 miles is always hard, no matter what course you run. I'm not sure if I'd have the right mindset to race right now, but it certainly sounds like you're ready to go. The runner I'm pacing is likely to run 19-21 hours, depending on the weather, so we may be close to each other on the course Saturday evening.


Damon

Jamie Anderson said...

Damon, I'll keep an eye out for you for sure. See you there!