Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bike N' Run

The Bike
After sleeping in, I managed to get a relatively quick start on things and was out the door with the bike after a breakfast of a huge homemade fruit smoothie and my usual two cups of coffee (16 ounces total, down from 48 ounces just a couple of months ago).

The ride was excellent. I rode on some back roads that had very little traffic and I really enjoyed continuing to get reacquainted with my bike. Very fun ride. I was also very happy to learn more about the problem I was having the other day with the front derailleur. It was popping off when I was going from my small front gear to my big front one (I don't know the proper terms). But, I found out if I don't cram the shift lever up all the way it shifts fine. I just have to be more gentle.

Biked 20.4 miles @ 16.8 mph/avg.
AHR/MHR - 129/179 (questionable max. HR)
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 70s, sunny, windy.
Bike shorts, singlet.

The Run
I arrived home and put the bike up, changed into my running shorts and shoes and headed out for a run. The transition was interesting. It took a while to get adjusted to the running immediately after the bike ride. I felt a little dizzy from it for the first mile and a half before I was fully back into the running groove. Energy was great however. Good little run.

Ran 4.6 miles @ 7:53/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 139/157
Paved roads.
Mostly flat.
Upper 70s, sunny, windy.
Shorts, singlet.

Less than a week to go now for the Vermont 100. Taper is going well and confidence is high. Will likely take tomorrow off (good timing, as rain is expected tomorrow and I also want to follow Badwater online). Plan is to run short, single digit mileages on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with some light biking thrown in. Take Friday off, and race is early Saturday (4am start).

Weekly Recap:
Running mileage: 31.1
Biking mileage: 30.9
Kayaking mileage: 7.7

6 comments:

Love2Run said...

What, no swimming? You're turning into a real multi-sport crazy person. Kayaking mileage? How do you calculate that?? Good thing you have lots of distractions to keep you busy during the taper. Good luck and go get em!

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks Mike. Normally I'd use the Garmin to calculate the kayaking mileage, but I forgot it. But I was able to get a good mileage approximation based on using one of the online running route distance calculators that uses google maps. Luckily, they still work over ocean waters and our route was simple enough to remember.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Getting close now Jamie, keep that energy bottled up! I know your about to explode with the WS being canceled.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Do I see a tri in your future?

Jamie Anderson said...

Marc - I dare not speak the "t" word at this time, but perhaps somewhere far down the road.

Olga said...

Jamie, best to you at VT100, be smart and pick up the carnage! I am betting on sub-21:)