Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mt. A + 2 Geocaches

The trails at Mt. Agamenticus are hard to resist, especially since they're only about a 20 minute drive from my school. Headed down there again today to get in some trail running and knock out a couple of geocaches.

The first one, GCVNYR, was right off the dirt road along the normal loop I've been running and was a quick find. The second one, GCY0RK, was a multi-cache (in this case, first set of coordinates leads you to an actual cache). I hit after reaching the top of Mt. A and set out on some new trails to find it.

I ended up unecessarily bushwhacking when I got close to the second phase of the multicache, and stopped when I heard a buzzing sound. At first, I thought a yellow jackets nest was nearby, then I thought it might be water trickling under the rocks. I cautiously approached the area of the sound and noticed it was thousands and thousands of small, flea-like bugs jumping on the fallen leaves. I have no idea what they were, but it creeped me out. My imagination started to get the better of me and I envisioned them starting to crawl on me and biting me to holy heck, consuming me to the bone in a matter of minutes. I quickly got out of there and soon located the cache, signed the log, then headed back up to the top of Mt. A.

Headed down and then continued on for another loop up and down the mountain. Really like the trails here. They're technical, but very runnable. I think my downhill form has improved a lot the past few months, and I'm becoming stronger at it. I'll definitely be needing that two months from now. Tic toc, tic toc, tic toc....

Ran 9.0 miles @ 10:23/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 132/159
Trails, dirt roads.
Extremely hilly.
Upper 40s, mostly sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt, Moeben sleeves.

No comments: