Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mt. Agamenticus

Headed down to Mt. Agamenticus this afternoon to take advantage of some snow free trails. The "mountain" is really more of a big hill, but it is somewhat prominent compared to the geography of the rest of the area.

I ran the same loop I did last summer with a large group that were also training for the Vermont 100. This time, I ran the three mile route three times. I'm feeling my body getting much more on track but I still want to keep the mileage relatively low this week as a precaution.

The loop starts off with a mile of running downill on a dirt road, followed with a mile of running (more like speed hiking) a very steep uphill trail to the top, then a mile downhill on a winding, technical trail that switchbacks down to the parking lot. So, in essence you're getting a mile of steep climbing and two miles of downhills. It's nice. Good practice for me as I need to work on my downhill form.

Run itself went very well. Felt better as the run went on. Past few runs various leg muscles have seemed tight. Today it was the soleous muscles. After a few miles, they were fine. I guess I need to do a better job at stretching after my runs to keep things loose.

Worth noting that the skies were very clear and I could see Mt. Washington from a vantage point near the top of Mt. A. I could also make out Mt. Hope near my school and Little Ossipee Hill near my house, which I've been running on lately.

Also, a big congrats to Ian for doing a great job at the Bull Run Run 50 this past weekend!

Ran 9.0 miles @ 10:05/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 140/171
Trails, dirt roads.
Extremely hilly.
Mid-upper 50s, sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.


No comments: