Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Need for Speed

Ran 11.7 miles. 10.0 miles @ 6:56/mile pace + 1.7 mile cooldown.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Weather: lower-mid 60s, light rain to start, partly cloudy to end.

Today was just what the doctor ordered. I set out with the goal of doing 10 miles at my goal marathon pace (7:10). Once again, I went a bit too fast. But the good news is I felt great. Granted, this has been a light week so my legs felt pretty fresh, but it was still very encouraging to know I could do today's run and it was almost easy.

Mile 1: 7:01
Mile 2: 6:41 (whoops)
Mile 3: 7:05
Mile 4: 6:58
Mile 5: 6:57
Mile 6: 6:50
Mile 7: 7:02
Mile 8: 7:01
Mile 9: 6:55
Mile 10: 6:52

It is also so absolutely unbelievably warm out that it's scary. I was wearing shorts and a singlet and was drenched in sweat after the run. At least winter is supposed to return in a few days.

But today's run was just what I needed mentally. I've felt like crap about my training this past week. Today helped give me the mental boost I was looking for.

4 comments:

Love2Run said...

OK, fess up, you're really thinking sub-3. That or all the hills were going down! Nice run, do you have any HR effort info other than 'almost easy'?

Banking Miles said...

Nice run and glad that you were feeling good as well at that pace. If I am a puma, you must be some kind of genetically engineered animal mixture between a cheetah, gazelle, and one of those little lizards that is really fast.

Jamie Anderson said...

I'm toying with the idea of getting a HR monitor, but I've never used one.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Very nice run. I am with Mike - you really are shooting for a sub-3 aren't you?