Saturday, November 14, 2020

Coronarunning

The surrealism of... well... nearly every news headline made in 2020 is well known. There was no capitulation of that this past week with our school shutting down for the second time this year for a few days because of corona popping in our district as the virus is now seemingly exploding across Maine alongside the country. The outlook for the next few months does not look optimistic for much in-person learning, I hate to say. 

That news is depressing and a bit scary, but at least it is balanced out somewhat with the hilariously pathetic floundering of the Orange Man and his lame-ass attempts to overturn democracy are failing left and right, which is great comic relief for us sensible people. 

And more good news is that the running continues to go well. I took Monday off and that night I had one of those wake-up-at-2am-and-can't-go-back-to-sleep events that occur every 2-3 weeks for no good reason. 

I was out the door by around 3:45am with the headlamp lighting the way for a five mile out and back along a quiet side road near my house. I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I upload these early morning runs to Strava and the default title says "Night Run". Was glad I got out. 

Naturally, I felt pleasantly tired at work that day, but that was erased in the afternoon when I learned we would be going remote for the rest of the week with that second case. We already had Veteran's Day off, which unexpectedly turned into a day to get new tires put on my truck after the old ones leaked chronically on top of being worn out. But while they were getting put on, we popped over to Acadia National Park and took the dogs for a little hike towards Witch Hole. And hey, new all terrain tires for the truck! Good deal on them to boot. Definitely a good day. 


On Thursday, I used my lunch break to get in four easy miles, and yesterday I took the pups for a two miler that ended up being a really great pace for little Hagrid! He booked it, with full support from myself and his sister, Moxie. Remote teaching is not ideal, but the flexibility is definitely pretty convenient (and the dogs love us being at home). 


Though it's Saturday, scheduling today's run will be especially tricky with Kate being away all day to help a friend with cooking meals for our members of our military, alongside various errands I have to run. Hoping for 10 miles, if I feel okay for it, but will cut it short if needed. 

No comments: