Monday, June 30, 2014

Pemi Loop Run

The other day was a great day with friends. Zak, John, Jim and I headed over to the Whites to run the Pemi Loop, going counter-clockwise. Well, Jim's plan was to run with us to somewhere between Bond and South Twin and turn around, which he did and kindly went into town to buy barley sodas for when we were done.

I was clearly the weakest link of the three of us doing the full loop. Zak and John are in the prime of their 100-mile training, and this was their last big run before tapering down for the Vermont 100. As for me? Well, since Boston I've been averaging about 15-20 miles a week. Granted, that's been increasing a little the past few weeks since I'm ramping up for the Big Brad Ultra, but running the Pemi at this stage might have been stupid.

However, it went great. Yes, I was slow. Yes, it's been two days now and I'm still more sore than I'd like to be. But no harm done and throughout the loop I felt great. Mentally with it, never bonking (though the last few climbs were tough). I was just slower, is all.

Glad I did it. A great boost all around for my goals and I plan to run it again later this summer at a faster lick.

Zak, Jim and John on Bondcliff. 
Franconia Ridge: the final ridge. 
If you look really close on the foreground ridge, there is a blackish shape that is a moose. 
Looking at Flume from Liberty. One peak to go. 

Squirrel's nemesis: the spruce grouse. 
Ran 31.5 miles @ 21:34/mile pace.
Overall time: ~11:19
Mountain trails.
Insanely hilly.
Lower 60s on summits, upper 70s in valleys, partly cloudy.
Inov-8 Roclite 243, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap, fastpack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome. And you had barley sodas after? Even better.
Is the moose above the word "that"?
Regards,
Bob in PA