Friday, June 20, 2014

Back from Jackman

Returned from an epic 4-day camping trip in the north woods outside of Jackman (near the Canadian border) yesterday afternoon. The trip was a great way to celebrate with some fellow teachers/fly fishermen the end of a successful school year.

I missed running during this time. Many times I looked at the surrounding mountains and wondered what the views were like on top. A big part of me wanted to run up them, but the focus was on catching trout and salmon, and there was plenty of that. Plenty. I lost track of how many I caught. So did everyone else.

We caught (and ate) some big ones, saw a moose cross the river next to us while we were wetting our lines, ate moose meat for dinner (not the same one), and simply had huge fun catching plentiful amounts of fish in the middle of nowhere. Great time with some great people. I didn't take many pictures because the fishing was so great, but here's a few:

One of many salmon. 

Post storm rainbow in front of our Camp Fish Slayer.
After that trip, it felt great to be back home with my wife and also sleep in my own comfortable bed. I did miss being sung to sleep by loons and great horned owls. One can get very used to that. But I woke up refreshed and eager to run. I just did five miles, sticking to a mostly flat route on fire roads. It was a good way to kick off some rust and save a little for something longer tomorrow.

The heel is still bugging me. I'm going to do some aggressive foot and calf stretching for a while and see if that helps. I also took the New Balance MT110 out of retirement today since they are very low profile and that seems to help. They're also the least beat up out of my trail shoes, despite having over 650 miles on them. I'm going to try to hold out with those until the new MT100 v2 comes out in July. Those look promising.

Ran 5.2 miles @ 9:33/mile pace.
Trails, fire roads.
Mostly flat.
Around 60 degrees, sunny.
New Balance MT110, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

2 comments:

Amy Tobalske said...

Inov-8 is coming out w/the Ultra 290 this month, 10oz and the T2H drop is 8mm. A bit high for me, but shoe was designed for ultra runners. I may have to grab a pair. Still NB makes a fine minimal shoe indeed.

Jamie Anderson said...

Inov-8's are actually my back-up... however, in the past I've never been able to find a pair that fits correctly. Their new wider toe box models might change that though.