Tuesday, November 22, 2011

2000 and 11/22/63

Lots of number stuff to write about today...

2000

I reached a big running milestone today by crossing over 2000 running miles for the year. Woohoo! I've never done that before, thanks to injuries. But since working at altering my gait a year and a half or so ago, I've had really great success both in staying injury free and getting faster because my stride is more efficient (knocking on wood here). Looking forward to increasing the yearly amount until the odometer resets on January 1st. 

Ran 6.0 miles @ 8:29/mile pace. 
Paved roads. 
Slightly hilly. 
Lower 40s, overcast. 
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

11/22/63

Today also marks the 48 year anniversary of the assassination of JFK. I admit that I probably wouldn't have known that or at least paid much attention to it if it weren't for Stephen King's latest novel "11/22/63", but I now have a lot more respect for the man as well as the real life events that were going on in that era. 

Speaking of the date, coincidentally I finished the book today. The summary of my review can be stated in one word: Awesome. King is known for his horror novels, but this book clearly belongs in the "historical fiction" genre (or, "historical science fiction" if that label even exists). 

It's about a man who goes back in time to stop the assassination of our nation's 35th President. As I mentioned, it's not horror. It'll put you on the edge of your seat and move you to tears. Lots of twists. The characters are well developed and very real. It's a fast paced read despite being around 900 pages long. That's all one really needs to know and the rest of the details are best left for the readers to discover for themselves. Simply an incredible book that I highly recommend (otherwise, why would I even mention it on a running blog when it has nothing to do about running, really?).

2 comments:

Robert Stuart said...

Jamie, How exactly has your stride changed over the last year?

Jamie Anderson said...

Avoiding heel striking, which was the root cause for many problems. I've adopted more of a forefoot strike now. Running in racing flats or barefoot on the soccer fields when it's warmer has really helped with that. Also, when I don't run in racing flats, I like the Kinvaras for longer distances especially. Only 4mm of heel lift, which aids in proper foot placement while running.