Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Taper Madness

It's starting to set in.

Last week wasn't so bad. Kind of enjoyable in fact. It was more of a step-down week and still enough mileage to keep me feeling somewhat normal.

Not anymore. During yesterday's rest day, I was feeling anxious to run and the legs were feeling springy and fresh.

That continued today, but only five miles were on tap. That's a bit like giving a starving fat man a small salad for dinner. As a result I went out a bit too fast. I reminded myself several times to slow down, but still the pace was :30/mile faster than what I would have liked. At least it felt wicked easy.

It's funny, because today felt like deja vu. So, I checked my training logs and I did the exact same thing at the exact same point in the taper last fall for the MDI Marathon. I was more disciplined the following day, and I will do the same for tomorrow.

Ran 5.0 miles @ 7:35/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (wonky data)
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 40s, overcast, light rain.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt.


Laurel said...

Joan Benoit Samuelson used to say she knew she was ready for a good race if she was chomping at the bit during her taper. Sounds like you're ready for a good race!

Luc said...

Love your analogy: "giving a starving fat man a small salad for dinner" :) Good luck next week. I'm sure you're gonna crush it. I'll be rooting for you!!