After continuing to feel the cold that has resurfaced and also barfing up my dinner last night, today's run was obviously in question. Just want to make it clear that I'm not fishing for sympathy here (though the comments from yesterday are appreciated), just documenting! Being frustrated with this nagging cold, I did my best to stick it to the man by doing the following last night and this morning:
- Ate lots of candied ginger (for stomach)
- Increased fluid intake (ginger ale)
- Increasing vitamin C (lots of orange juice)
- Ate two cloves of raw garlic (good thing I'm off all of this week for winter break)
- Taking DayQuil liquid caps
- Taking Ibuprofen
- Continuous sipping of hot water and mint tea (to kill bacteria in mouth and throat, mint tea also for the stomach)
The one thing I can do better on is probably the most important: REST. I had decided to do just that today until there was a knock on my door. It was UPS, and they delivered the new strap for my HR monitor. Yippee!
So, I compromised. Just a short run today. The fresh air might do me some good, right? If I go slow I won't stress my body too much, right? And the HR data might give me a better sense of how this cold is affecting my body, right?
Ran 3.0 miles @ 8:18/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 143/159 (better than I expected, but still a little high)
Mid 20s, very windy, sunny.
Long pants, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.