Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snowshoeing, Smoothies and Excavation

For the fifth time this year, school was canceled today because of snow. I shoveled the walk and moved my car for when the plow truck comes through, but not before taking my time after waking up at 5am and making coffee and a fruit smoothie for breakfast. The recipe I use for a fruit smoothie is a big favorite of mine. Great drink that provides lasting energy. If you can handle the fiber, it's great just before a long run:

Place the following in a blender:
5 strawberries
1 apple, sans the core
1 banana
1 container of blueberry yogurt
1 cup of orange juice
2 ice cubes

Blend until all ingredients are liquefied.

It makes enough for a huge glass, which I have no problem downing. A few of the kids on the cross country team tried it a few months ago and really liked it, but they did comment that it made a lot and they were surprised I'd drink the whole thing. So if you try it out, adjust the recipe or simply share it if you see fit. It tastes great!

So after all that was taken care of, I strapped on my snowshoes and was off. It was apparent right off that this would be a good workout, as the snow and sleet was deep. I found it interesting that despite temperatures being in the lower 20s it was sleeting and not snowing. I'm guessing that means warmer air is aloft.

I was a bit disheartened shortly after I began the trek to find that the first snowmobile trail I usually take has been excavated, apparently for someone's driveway. A few hundred yards later, an area looks to have been cleared out for a home on top of a small ridge and next to the bog. Fortunately, judging by the excavating tape on the trees this looks to be it. Much better than some real estate developer putting up an entire neighborhood (which would be hard to do anyway, since a lot of the land back there is protected).

I noticed in late autumn that the land went up for sale, and also noticed that it had gone up for sale right after the motocross track right next to it had closed for the season. The track is VERY active during the warmer months and it can get quite loud. Who in the heck would want a house that close? I can think of two possibilities: One, the person building the house owns or is affiliated with the track in some way. Two, given the timing of when the land went up for sale, somebody got suckered. Big time.

Regardless, I hope the landowner won't mind me cutting through to access the trails. Even if he or she isn't gracious, there are other ways around. This way just happens to be the most convenient.

Anyway, I continued on enjoying the woods. Didn't see anything for wildlife, and no fresh tracks of any animals were seen. I made it to the fire road and turned around and headed back. Tough conditions with the deep snow, so it was a good little workout.


The fireroad

The next four days look pretty good weather wise, at least for the most part (more snow expected Friday night, but doesn't look to be much). I'm somewhat optimistic that the road shoulders will be okay for running tomorrow afternoon. It's been a while. Fingers crossed...

Snowshoed 3.1 miles in 1:04:51
AHR/MHR - N/A
Trails with unbroken snow.
Moderately hilly.
Lower 20s to start, mid 20s at end. Sleeting.
Snow pants, Goretex jacket, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, mittens (off and on).

No comments: