Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Beautiful Day

Sunny skies and warm temps this afternoon had me jonesing for a run outside especially since it's been a while. I did just that, opting to run the 1.75 mile armory loop a few times from my school. Lower speed limits and less traffic on this loop made it a safer option, since the snow banks were tall (stomach high to overhead) and the puddles were large (you could probably catch a fish in a few of them).

Felt great, and for the first several miles I cruised along at a slow pace, which has become comfortable. I wondered if I could still go fast and do so comfortably. Been a long while since I've done that. Opted to drop the hammer the last mile and a half and see how it felt. I was somewhat surprised at how easy and natural it came, despite not doing speed work in a long while. I ran the last mile in 6:25 and still felt I had a lot left in the tank. Cool.

Ran 7.0 miles @ 7:47/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A
Paved roads, patches of slush and puddles.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 30s, sunny.
Shorts, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

3 comments:

Blaine Moore said...

I'm looking forward to my run this evening; I'm planning on running with the crowd over at Maine Running Company. Should be interested to see what sort of shape the roads in Portland are in, given the amount of flooding yesterday.

Ange said...

That must have felt so so nice! I can't remember the last time I was able to run outside, except the Cape MIdwinter race. It's been harsh weather. I'm glad you enjoyed the nice day!

R. Ian Parlin said...

I can't remember the last time I ran indoors. I think I did 20 minutes on a treadmill back in 2006.