Friday, November 30, 2007

I Probably Shouldn't Have, But....

...it felt awesome. I decided to turn my planned 15 mile run into a 20 miler today after work. Probably not smart given the problems lately, but didn't feel any signs of trouble recently or during the run. Hopefully that'll still be the case tomorrow. Hee hee.

My friend and fellow teacher Tom ran 13 of the 20 miles with me, a new distance PR for him. I ran at his pace during that time, which was good for me to keep it a bit slower. Running with Tom is fun. He's one of those guys that you can talk into doing more miles since he doesn't like to back off a challenge. Today was a great example of that. Tom had planned on maybe doing 10. But it didn't take much at all to get him to do a bit more, and as always, he was glad he did.

A big reason for deciding to do today's distance was to get in a 20+ miler for November, which I hadn't done yet. I want to build a new streak of doing at least one a month, which was interrupted twice this year by the knee surgery and again after recovering from the Vermont 100. Today's run marks the third month in a row. Here's to many more (raise glasses of your finest ales, now drink).

Hopefully I will continue to feel okay without any major setbacks, as there is some work to be done in the months ahead. Tomorrow Stephen, James and I will find out if we got into the Western States 100 and we we will convene at Stephen's house and await for the news. Keep yer fingers crossed for us! But if I don't get in, I like my back-up plan just about as much. More on all of that tomorrow.

Ran 20.2 miles @ 8:49/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (forgot my strap)
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid to lower 30s, clear skies.
Long pants, fleece jacket over long sleeved wicking shirt, reflective vest, beanie, gloves.


3 comments:

Thomas said...

You won the lottery! Congratulations. Have 100 miles of fun.

Love2Run said...

Woo Hoo Jamie! You're the man! A little twisted but still the man. That was a hell of hilly 20 miler you did. Glad to hear you're taking it 'easy'. Watch those tweaky knees.

RunSueRun said...

Congratulations on W$, Buddy!! Never too early to start practicing pounding those downhills. :)