Sunday, October 07, 2007

Those Crazy Marathoners

I had misunderstood Stephen a few nights ago when he asked me if I wanted to run the Maine Marathon course on Sunday. I had thought the race was on Saturday, and thought he meant he was going to run the course on Sunday as a training run. But Stephen clarified it to me yesterday and the race was today, and he and our friend James had decided last minute to enter and run. Not that it really mattered as I wouldn't have anyway, since I have my own marathon next weekend up on Mt. Desert Island, but I was amazed at their decision and pumped for them to do well. In their typical fashion, they were non-chalant about it and just wanted to go out and have fun. Also in their typical fashion, they did fantastic, with both finishing in under 3:20 (I think, race results aren't posted at the time of this writing) and making it look easy. Congrats guys! I had fun rooting them on along with Stephen's wife Kellh and their two adorable kids. We drove to various points along the course to see them and it was a real treat to cheer them and the other runners on.

A few hours later, I did my own little run on one of the many hilly routes from my home. Felt good and the pace came along relatively easy. Was pleased with my heart rate at the pace I did. Kept telling myself to slow down but it didn't do much good. Went faster than I would have liked, but given the low mileage last week I'm far from concerned about it. Also, great weather today, as a cold front has pushed through and close to seasonal temperatures have returned and it appears they'll be around for a while.

Ran 5.6 miles @ 7:13/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 155/173
Paved and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Mid-60s, sunny.

2 comments:

Phil said...

6 miles isn't the same as 26.2, but look at that pace. Great run Jamie.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Yes, we should have some great weather for MDI, unlike those poor folks in Chicago and the Twin Cities.