Wednesday, October 10, 2007

More Pre-Marathon Thoughts

The legs continue to feel fresh and the speed on shorter distances over the past few months has been pretty effortless. I'm hoping that will combine nicely with the aerobic base I'm still riding from the Vermont 100. We'll see. My training hasn't been marathon specific over the past several months, so I'm not expecting a lot. My attitude is pretty nonchalant towards Sunday, and I just want to have fun out there.

That being said, I do have goals, but they are soft goals. 3:21:00 would be nice, which is a 7:40/pace. That would set a new marathon PR by almost seven minutes. That sounds like a lot, but when you consider that I set my current PR last year (3:27:58) during the same race and three weeks after running a 50-miler, it's reasonable. The reason I PR'd then on tired legs is because my older PR was set when I was still relatively new to marathons and ultras and didn't have the base that I do now.

If I don't get 3:21:00? I honestly don't care much. I really don't. This is not to say I'm not motivated to do well on Sunday. I'm going to give it my best. If I feel I can press down on the gas faster, I will. If I feel I'm having a not-so-good day, I'll slow it down to ensure a finish I can be pretty happy with.

As for today, just a quick jaunt with the XC team. Workout was broken up in quarter mile intervals, so that made the pace easier. I took it easy, while the team sped ahead. Won't be able to run tomorrow since I have grad school, or Friday since we have a XC meet. Good opportunity to put the final touches on resting up. Looking forward to the race.

Ran 2.2 miles @ 7:07/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (data skewed from running in intervals)
Paved roads and trails.
Moderately hilly.
Mid-upper 50s, overcast.

10 comments:

Michael Jay Dotson said...

Relaxed attitude + no pressure + good base + no injuries= sub 3:20:00. That's my prediction.

Go get 'em at MDI.

Unknown said...

Very cool blog! I found my way here from Phil's.

I went back and read your Vermont 100 race report. Awesome job! I'm getting ready for my first ultra in late December now that I have more or less retired from triathlons. I have sort of hedged my bets by doing a 24 hour race. I'm hoping for 100+ miles, but the good thing is that there is no such thing as a DNF in a timed race, so the pressure is off. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Good luck in the marathon. I'm looking to see how well I can do with a marathon on run training instead of the ones I did on triathlon training. They didn't go well at all.

Love2Run said...

Things are sounding really good for you Jamie and I like your open plan to take what comes. I'm still debating what to do myself as my recovery has been good but there is still some residual soreness. May hang back with Marc but could be convinced to push you along as well. See you soon!

UltraFlash said...

Go get 'em Jamie! A PR is yours! We'll be rooting for you from Portland!

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I will be on the course taking pictures....so let me know what you are wearing color wise so I can keep an eye out for you.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Good luck Jamie, sounds like u have a good mindset ... 3:21 would be a very sweet PR, best wishes !!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

ummmm I must be getting tired but what Marathon on Sunday are you doing??? I didn't SEE it on this or last post? hmmmm ok time for bed-lol

thanks

Runner NYC said...

Good luck on Sunday, Jamie!!

Sarah said...

I always seem to run better when I go into race just wanting to have fun. Running a pr can be fun too! : ) Best of luck!

Thomas said...

Good Luck! I predict you'll jog along to a new PR.