Saturday, September 08, 2007

Heat, Drought and Woodpeckers

After two days off (felt my legs could use the rest), I was raring to go today and had an enjoyable easy run. What was surprising to me was that I barely noticed the heat and humidity (80 degrees, 70% humidity). I felt comfortable in these conditions when normally I don't. Must be the Florida roots in me coming out.

Despite going through yet another heat wave, signs of autumn are perhaps making themselves known. I'm seeing more leaves starting to turn their colors, but I wonder how much of it has to do with the drought we're experiencing. A lack of rainfall will generally result in a less colorful display, but it's too early to tell.

I also noticed that despite the heat, the deer flies were 100% absent during today's run. Normally they swarm me when I run down the dirt road on this route, but they simply weren't there. I suspect this is in large part related to the drought. Rain is finally expected later today and over the next several days (along with cooler temperatures). We could definitely use it, so even if it does spawn another hatching of those annoying little devils, I'm willing to deal with it.

I also saw a pileated woodpecker fly overhead as I was running down the dirt road. That was a real treat. Neat birds, and big too.

Ran 5.6 miles @ 7:31/mile pace
AHR/MHR =- 153/167
Paved and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
80 degrees, sunny, humid.

3 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

That is one studly looking Woodpecker...

Ummm how did u see that and run so fast...geesh I have a lot of work to do to run the trails :-)

I hope I can go out for a run on monday... my legs feel great just that one pinkie toe is still pretty torn up, still trying to dry it out...won't kill me to run on it, just gonna slow up the healing process...it will rub it raw probably.

I have been in front of the TV on my elliptical barefoot the past few days...helps keep my legs loose. JFK is gonna come up quick, going to work on a little more speed work...Now that I am finally getting my endurance up, I want to get some more speed :-)

Jamie Anderson said...

Bob - In similar situations I've duct-taped toes and that helped.

As for the woodpecker, I'm always keeping a lookout for wildlife when I run.. for me it's a big part of the fun of running, especially since I live in a relatively rural area.

Recover well!

Bryon Powell said...

Aren't pileateds awesome. I have a pair that nests in a park less than 3 miles from my house. Often see or hear at least one of them while I'm running there. When I was running there more often, I learned how to approach them pretty closely. When I did, I would go sit under the tree they were on and watch them for a while. Majestic. I encounter them more than any other woodpecker in northern Virginia, but that could just be that their size, distinctive flight, and distinctive tap pattern make them so apparent and recognizable.