Saturday, April 19, 2014

Final Pre-Boston Run

Tomorrow we travel down to Boston. First stop will be the expo to check-in and then probably some lunch before we head over to our hotel to relax for the rest of the day. I am really looking forward to it.

So, my final pre-race run was today. I opted to run to the salmon pool and back. Prior to today, I haven't seen fish there this season.

Unlike when I was fishing here a few weeks ago, I was surprised to see the water levels at close to their nominal levels and running relatively clear. I wonder if it's because the trees are producing less tannic acid since it's early spring. Stones ranging in size from pebbles to basketballs could easily be seen carpeting the bottom. It was pretty.

I sat and watched the water, looking toward the usual spots, hoping to see a fish to rise. With the especially cold and snowy winter and also the super high water levels lately, part of me wondered if the salmon would still be here. It would have been easy for them to go downstream to another pool or even the Saco River.

I noticed a few midges and something bigger, likely a stonefly, fluttering about, so the food is there. A few times I thought I saw a few small boils on the surface, but decided they were just eddies. For the same reasons hunters get buck fever, I suppose trout fever can also exist for fly fisherman.

Then I saw the telltale concentric ripples in the water. It had to have been a fish. I waited a few minutes for another, but saw none. I played devil's advocate with myself, wondering if something could have fallen from a tree. Possible, but I saw nothing on the surface. I'm at least 90% certain it was a fish and mused that a size 20 Griffith's Gnat would be a good fly to start with...if I had my gear with me. Satisfied, I ran home and ate lunch.

By the way, if you don't think this post was about my pre-race feelings, you're wrong.

Ran 2.5 miles @ 9:12/mile pace.
Trails.
Mostly flat.
Mid 50s, partly cloudy.
New Balance MT1010, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Good luck in Boston, Jamie!

unstrung said...

Awesome pre-race report. Go J!

Grellan said...

I hope you're ready to catch a big one in Boston Jamie. All the best and look out for a few of my Eagle AC Club mates who are running it - yellow logo on a black singlet and wish them luck also.

Jamie Anderson said...

Grellan, will do! Thanks for the positive vibes everyone. Can't wait!