Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Surprising Tempo Run

Been up since 2:20am (woke up and couldn't fall back asleep) and work was very busy. However, work also ended on a very good note, which elevated an already good mood. Perhaps that helped add some unexpected pep for today's tempo run. It's quite possible that taking a rest day yesterday also helped a lot. Maybe it was also having the right song going through my head (see below). Just glad only getting in five hours of sleep was seemingly not a factor.

For the first few tenths of a mile my legs felt pretty heavy but that quickly dissipated. The pace came down really fast. Though I neglected doing a real warm-up, it at least felt natural and easy. The weather was also pretty warm. Still warming up is important, so this was bad discipline.

That being said, I had originally planned on five miles at tempo pace. Decided to tack on a sixth. Splits were 6:58, 6:38, 6:34, 6:43, 6:40 and 6:40 over a moderately hilly route. Smooth and never a struggle. I was very surprised at how great I felt. With that in the bank, I then cooled down for two miles.

As I type this, the lack of sleep has definitely caught up to me now. Wicked tired. I suspect I'll sleep well tonight.


Ran 6.0 miles @ 6:41/mile pace.
c/d Ran 2.0 miles @ 8:01/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 40s, partly sunny.
Saucony Virrata, shorts, long sleeved shirt.

No comments: