Thursday, January 02, 2014

Holidays Extended

Post-run.
Today was supposed to be the first day back from break, but there was a chance it'd run longer, thanks to a potential snow day. Guessing if we'll have one the night before is a mixed bag. Sometimes it's an absolute slam dunk and I don't even bother setting the alarm. Some days, I realize there's a slight chance and I write it off, only to be surprised to get that automated phone call announcing school is cancelled. And of course, there is everything in between as well as every surprise you can imagine.

Last night, I thought today was going to be a borderline call, but leaning slightly in favor of a snow day. 60/40. The snow itself was borderline, not a lot but maybe enough, however with highs only in the single digits and winds expected to pick up.. well, not a good combination for little kids who walk to school in a poor, run down mill town and many don't even have proper winter coats.

I woke up, still no call, went to pee, and as I came back in the bedroom I saw my phone had just rang (it was on silent). School cancelled! Well, technically it's just postponed, as school days are made up on the backside of the school year.

Kate did have school. Teacher workshop day scheduled for her, so no kids walking to school or large buses sliding around corners anyway so work was still on for her. Of course, I rubbed it in a little, but was nice and warmed up her car and cleaned it off.

After I saw her off, I went for a snowshoe run. The plan was maybe four miles. The trails were still well packed and groomed overall, with just a few fresh inches on top of the snowmobile trails which would extend to maybe four inches as the run went on. However, after a half a mile, I decided to go for six miles since the conditions were easy. That later turned to eight.

It was easy to up the mileage given the conditions, but also because I was dressed right. Warm-up pants over long tights, a pair of thin Merrell socks under Smartwools and some ultra-warm mittens were key. I was totally fine despite it being 2F/-17C out.

Great run and my longest snowshoe run to date. Ran some errands afterwards and now I have the rest of the day to myself. I think I'll tie some flies and sample the hot sauce I made last night to go with lunch.

Snowshoe Ran 8.3 miles @ 10:10/mile pace.
Trails with 2"-4" of very fine powder over a packed snowmobile trail base.
Moderately hilly.
2F/-17C, overcast, light to moderate snow.
Dion 121 snowshoes, New Balance MT1010, warm-up pants, long tights, windbreaker, two long sleeved shirts, beanie, mittens, doubled up socks.

No comments: