Thursday, March 14, 2013

I Hate Treadmills

Treadmills are acceptable in certain situations. Like this evening, as I'm chaperoning high school students on an overnight trip so I used the hotel's treadmill while keeping an eye on things. And there are parents who need to be home with their kids and the treadmill is a great solution. And there's also... there's.... well, I'm sure there might be a few more very good reasons, but I can't think of them.

I pretty much hated every step on that dang thing, as I always do. I felt like a stupid hamster. Sure, I run for the exercise and I love to compete, but I also love being able to explore new areas, check out nature and just simply be outside. Treadmills are dumb.

That all being said, grateful all the same to get in a second run.

Ran 5.0 miles @ 7:45/mile pace.
Some sort of rubberized belt.
Flat.
Climate controlled 70 degrees.
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, sleeveless shirt.

6 comments:

middleagedrunner said...

I hate them too. With a passion. I can not fathon why some people prefer them (and I can not imagine marathon training on one. 22 miler on a dreadmill? NO...)

Bob said...

I read your blog a lot and like it. It kinda bums me out what you said about treadmills because it makes me feel you don't look at me as a real runner. Even though I sometimes log 50 miles per week... Most but not all on a treadmill. I don't have great trails out my door or relatively car free places to run.

Jamie Anderson said...

Bob, to each their own. I make no apologies for how I feel about them, but like I said, they have their place at times.

Bob said...

I apprciate your bluntness.
Congratulations on your students. Also congrats on your MDI marathon last year. I hope to run that myself one day (I've spent lots of time running the carriage roads and the Great Meadow Loop at Acadia).

Jamie Anderson said...

Bob, highly recommended! Absolutely love that race. The carriage runs are also so awesome to run on. That island is just a running mecca of sorts.

Bob said...

Jamie,
Thanks for replying. Not to take up too much of your time: My wife and I have been visiting Acadia (we live in PA) for nearly 20 years and I've been running for about 13 years. We actually got married on a little boat in Frenchmans Bay in 2006. I've run trails all over the country and I agree that MDI is a running mecca for sure.
Thanks for your time and I will continue to read and be inspired by your blog. Good luck with Boston and man do I hope the temperature is about 30-40 degrees cooler than last year.