Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Appeasing the Vogons III: The Boston Marathon Blues

For my creative writing class, we had to write a blues poem. There were some specific format requirements for it, and here's what I came up with: 

The Boston Marathon Blues 
by 
Jamie Anderson 

I’m going down to Boston.
For the third year in a row.
I’m going down to Boston.
It’s time for the big show.

Third time isn't a charm.
Even though I won’t fail.
Third time isn't a charm.
I’d rather be on the trail.

I want to run in the mountains.
Not on a paved road.
I want to run in the mountains.
But the seeds have been sowed.

I’m heading down to Boston.
This will be the last time.
I’m heading down to Boston.
Then the mountains will be mine.

###

Ran 5.8 miles @ 7:33/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 30s, overcast, intermittent light mixed precipitation, very windy.
Saucony Virrata, long tights, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

Content copyright © 2013 by Jamie Anderson. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

unstrung said...

Love it. But there's just one problem: Bluesmen are legally forbidden to use the word "marathon". And their baby has to leave them and there has to be prison/violence/god references.

How about...

Got the Heartbreak Hill blues,
Ain't nothin' you can say.
'Bout them Heartbreak Hill blues,
Just get on yo' knees and pray.

My baby gone and left me,
She say that all I do is run.
Now she's run off with another
And I be polishin' my gun.

And those Heartbreak Hill blues,
They're like a ball and chain,
I'm prisoner of my bleedin' self,
A prisoner of pain.

But I digress.. :) :) :)

Thomas said...

I only survived by gnawing one of my own legs off. ;-)

César Bobadilla said...

Great poetry and run!