Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Pushing the Pace

Was really happy with today's run. It was tough though. Really tough. Pretty much all of my runs over five miles during this post-injury period have been at a very relaxed pace. I decided today to push it. There were physical cob-webs to shake, as well as mental ones. I had no idea until now they were so thick, but I'm happy to have pushed through it.

I did the same route as Saturday, though this time the mileage was 1/10th shorter since I opted to walk once I hit the driveway at the end of the run.

Around two and a half miles of this route are on fire roads where the surface is smoother, but most of it is still quite hilly. Still, you can pick up the pace easier on those sections.

The rest is rugged, rolling, technical trails. I made it a goal to have all of my splits under 9:00/mile. During mile four, this almost came in jeopardy during a steep climb up a very rocky hill. I did it though in 8:52, and that was a nice little victory.

Ran 8.5 miles @ 8:07/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 160/177
Technical trails, fire roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 60s, partly sunny.
Brooks Cascadia 3s, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Nice! I hope to be running again in Nov. I'm on the bike for the month of Oct and hitting the gym :) Glad to hear you're progressing nicely.