Monday, October 19, 2009

A Fitting Compromise

The XC team had a two-mile time trial on tap today, and I had originally planned on running it with them. However, I felt pretty crappy on the 2.3 mile warm-up run. Felt tight and not very energetic. I had run it at an okay lick, so I convinced myself that the warm-up run and the cool down of the same distance would be enough.

But then as the runners were doing the time trials, I was getting chilly. One of the kids came late, and I decided to compromise my plans and help pull him along at least for the first mile. This worked out well. I'd say it translated to about a 90% effort for me, and I was happy to squeek in one second under 6:00.

The mile course is a hilly one also. Check out the elevation chart below.


Ran 5.6 miles total.
2.3 miles @ 7:41/mile pace. AHR/MHR - 153/165
1.0 mile @ 5:59/mile pace. AHR/MHR - 159/171
2.3 miles @ 7:53/mile pace. AHR/MHR - 157/168

Paved roads.
Slightly hilly for w/u and c/d, very hilly for mile course.
Lower 50s, sunny.
Asics GT-2140 (unmodified), Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: